Here is a last minute dessert idea for your 4th of July celebration. These Patriotic Cupcakes are too cute! A box cake mix makes them easy to make.
This recipe came from Quick Cooking (now Simple and Delicious). The recipe makes 18, however I decided to stretch it it 24. It worked ok, but I think the different layers would have worked out better if I would have stuck with the 18.
The recipe also calls for canned frosting. That will make these even easier. However, I am not a fan of canned frosting so I made my own vanilla buttercream. The recipe is below. I also wanted to let you know, I will post a recipe tomorrow. It will be another quick and easy last minute recipe.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 pkg 18-1/4 oz white cake mix
- ½ tsp blue food coloring I used gel
- ½ tsp red food coloring I used gel
- 1 can 16 ounces vanilla frosting or your own frosting **see recipe below
- Red white and blue sprinkles
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and blue food coloring. In another bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and red food coloring. Leave remaining batter plain.
- Fill 18 paper-lined muffin cups with 2 tablespoons red batter, 2 tablespoons plain batter and 2 tablespoons blue batter. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost with vanilla frosting; decorate with sprinkles.
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup butter softened
- 4 ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- milk I use about 3-4 Tbsp
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- Put butter in bowl and beat with electric mixer until fluffy. Then add about half the powdered sugar. Then beat in 1 Tablespoon milk and the vanilla. Slowly add in the rest of the powdered sugar. Add more milk if needed. Add food coloring if desired. (This will be enough to lightly frost 18 cupcakes, double it is you want it piped on high)
This is the original photo from this post. The above was updated in June 2016.