Over the next few days I am going to share some fun recipes. These recipes would be great for anytime, but I think they would be especially great for a little tea party. My mother-in-law does one every year for all the girls. We all come dressed up with hats. Gloves are optional. It would be a fun thing to do while the kids are out for summer. This Pastry Cream Filled Fillo Shells recipe is easy enough that you could even involve the kids with making it.
I have never made anything with fillo dough before and have seen these cute mini fillo shells made by Athens at the grocery store. I’ve been wanting to try them. The beauty of these little babies is all you have to do is fill them, no baking required. You could fill them with a seafood salad or chicken salad to have a savory dish. I wanted to make something sweet so I made some chocolate pastry cream and put a strawberry slice on top. Now the pastry cream will make more than enough to fill a package of these mini fillo shells. You could probably use 2 packages for 1 recipe of pastry cream of just put the extra pastry cream in a couple of custard cups. I can totally eat this pastry cream by itself.
- INSTANT CHOCOLATE PUDDING
- HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
- FRUIT FOR GARNISH (SUCH AS MANDARIN ORANGES CUT IN HALF, RASPBERRIES, STRAWBERRY SLICES, BANANA SLICES, ETC)
- 1 large box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- fruit for garnish (such as mandarin oranges cut in half, raspberries, strawberry slices, banana slices, etc)
- In a large bowl combine pudding, milk, and whipping cream. Mix together by hand using a wire whisk. Mix well to ensure a smooth mix. When the pudding starts to set, it is finished and needs to be used immediately.
- Place filling into a large zip lock bag or pastry bag. Squeeze out extra air and seal the top. If using zip lock bag, cut a hole, to fit into the hole in the pastry, in one corner of the bag. Pipe filling into each fillo shell. (This filling with thicken as you chill the pastries)