Sometimes for feel like a nut and sometimes you don’t. If you were following my blog last December you may remember my post for cereal candy. This nutty cereal candy recipe is similar but takes you to the nutty side with the addition of slivered almonds and coconut. The candy coating is also a little different to. No whipping cream in this version, only sugar, butter, and corn syrup.
My family loves the regular version, but this is also good for when you are feeling nutty. This version is one I adapted from a recipe a friend gave me years ago. The original recipe included mixing in a bag of red hots. I didn’t care for the red hots. I just like the sticky gooey cereal.
Now, I must warn you that both recipes for cereal candy have a disclaimer: Make At Your Own Risk.
Both recipes are highly addictive. Once you start eating it, it’s hard to stop. I only make cereal candy during the holiday season, but during that time I make it a couple of times. My family has been known to finish off a batch in two days, and that is with me being the cereal candy police.
This nutty cereal candy recipe does require the use of a candy thermometer. Now the temperature you cook it to will all depend on where you are located. For me, here in the Salt Lake Valley and with my candy thermometer, soft ball stage is 230 degrees. So you need to know what temperature soft ball is for where you live. If you under cook the candy coating the cereal will get soggy and if you over cook it it will be hard as a rock. So you gotta get it to the exact temperature for soft ball. Just be careful, because once you make cereal candy there’s no going back. You’ll want to make this all the time.
You can vary the cereal used in the recipe if you like. With Chex now having gluten free versions of it’s cereal, if you have a gluten allergy you can use all Rice Chex or half Rice Chex and half Corn Chex. I really like the Rice Chex and Golden Grahams combo, but I have made it before with only Rice Chex.
Nutty Cereal Candy
Real Mom Kitchen
- 12.8 oz. box of Rice Chex
- 12 oz. box of Golden Grahams
- 1 7 oz. bag of shredded coconut
- 1 4 oz. package slivered almonds
- 1 ½ cup butter Yes that is right! 3 sticks at 1/2 cup each
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups corn syrup
- Combine Rice Chex, Golden Grahams, coconut, and almonds in a large pot.
- In sauce pan, cook butter, corn syrup, and sugar to soft ball stage. (That's 230 degrees here in Utah)
- Pour over cereal mixture and stir until well coated.
- Pour mixture out on to 2 cookie sheets to cool. Stir occasionally as cooling to prevent clumping.
- Store in an air tight container.