This recipe calls for a whole 16 oz. container of sour cream. When you mix this batter up make sure you mix it with a good mixer. That entire container of sour cream makes this batter very thick and creamy. The consistency resembles a thick mousse. The other interesting thing about this cupcake recipe is that it uses a German chocolate cake.
Finally, you top these moist morsels with a chocolate buttercream. This buttercream doesn’t get it’s chocolate flavor from cocoa powder, it uses melted dark chocolate morsels. Now I didn’t have any dark chocolate morsels in my house so I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in it’s place.
One tip for the frosting, when you add the chocolate, mix it in a spoonful at a time. This way you won’t melt the butter and cream cheese. Again, I am just providing the links to Southern Living for the recipes which is found on MyRecipes.com.
- GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX
- SOUR CREAM
- CREAM CHEESE
- POWDERED SUGAR
- DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- 1 (18.25-oz.) pkg German chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups or 1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chocolate Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (3 oz) pkg cream cheese
- 1 (16 oz) pkg powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (6 oz.) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, beat the cake mix, sour cream, butter, eggs, and vanilla together on low speed with an electric mixer just until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium, and beat 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth.
- Place paper baking cups in muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter evenly into baking cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting:
- In a bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together with a mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium, and slowly add milk and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave dark chocolate chips on 50% power for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Gradually add melted chocolate to butter mixture and beat until blended and smooth. Makes 24 cupcakes.