This post contains affiliate links.
Between work, my blog, my home, an my family, life is pretty busy on a consistent basis. Especially since school for my daughter is back in session. My Instant Pot can be a lifesaver for those crazy week night and still make it possible to get dinner on the table. This Instant Pot Mexican casserole is a new family favorite meal.
It does begin with a good old pound of ground beef along with some onion. You do need brown the beef with the onion in the Instant Pot on the saute mode. Once this is done, you need to drain off any excess grease. Then you pour in the beef broth. This basically deglazes the Instant Pot from any cooked on bits from cooking the meat and onion. You don’t want that of the pan or you can get a burn message.
Next you are going to mix in some salt, chili power, and cumin. Then you are going to layer in the remaining ingredients. You layer them in this order – a can of Rotel, a can of ranch style beans, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Now, you cover the Instant Pot and set it to cook on manual for 5 minutes.
Once it finishes cooking, you want to do a manual quick vent. Then you are going to mix in some corn tortillas that you have cut in 1 inch squares. After you mix that in, you will mix in a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Then it’s time to serve.
There are garnishes you can add on this Instant Pot Mexican casserole to serve. Serve it topped with sour cream, diced avocado, diced tomato, diced green onion, or chopped cilantro. SO delicious!Print
Instant Pot Mexican Casserole
- Total Time: 20 muinutes plus time to come to pressure
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel (I use mild)
- 1 (15 oz) can ranch style beans, undrained
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 16 (5 inch) yellow corn tortillas , cut unto 1 inch squares
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- garnishes – diced tomato, diced avocado, sour cream, diced green onion, chopped cilantro
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes until beef is fully cooked. Drain any excess grease.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Mix in the salt, chili powder, cumin.
- The add in layers in this order – Rotel, ranch beans and cream of mushroom soup . Don’t stir.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook for 5 minutes. Turn the valve to vent for a quick pressure release and remove the lid.
- Stir the tortillas into the pot. Stir in the cheese.
- Scoop onto plates and serve topped with desired garnishes. Serves 6.
Alternate instructions for the slow cooker:
- In a skillet, add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes until beef is fully cooked. Drain any excess grease.
- Pour in the broth. Mix in the salt, chili powder, cumin.
- In a slow cooker, layer in this order – the meat mixture, ranch beans, Rotel, cream of mushroom soup, tortillas, then shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4 hours. Top with desired garnishes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes plus time to come to pressure
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
This recipe is adapted from 365 Days of Slow + Pressure Cooking.