Yep, it only cooks for one minute! However, as any instant pot user knows, it does take time to bring the pot up to pressure. Then this recipe requires a natural pressure release for 4 minutes. So in the grand scheme of things, it take more like 20 minutes. But, it is 20 minutes you can just leave the pressure cooker alone to do it’s thing.
If you happen to be one of those people who have not jumped on the instant pot band wagon yet, no worries. You can still make this on the stove top. The stove top method takes about 15 minutes, but does require you to stand at the stove during the cooking time.
Either way, this apple pie filling is so delicious and worth the effort to make. The hardest part is cutting and peeling the apples.
I am going to share a tasty way to enjoy this pie filling with you all tomorrow. So be sure to check back for that recipe.
- 6 apples, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- In the insert of the Instant Pot, toss the diced apples with the lemon juice.
- In a bowl, whisk the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, water, and cornstarch together. Pour into the Instant Pot and stir with the apples.
- Place the lid on and be sure the valve is set to seal. Cook on manual HIGH for 1 minutes. Then allow a natural pressure release for 4 minutes. Then manually release the remaining pressure.
- At this point if the filling needs to thicken a bit more, turn on to saute and cook until reached the desired thickness.
- Use the filling right away, refrigerate for 5 days or freeze until needed!
For the stovetop: In a sauce pan, toss the diced apples with the lemon juice. In a bowl, whisk the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, water together. Pour into the sauce pan and stir with the apples. Simmer the mixture for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Remove about 1/2 cup of liquid from the pot and whisk in 1/4 cup of cornstarch. Pour the cornstarch slurry into the pot with the apples. Stir and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 1
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Cooking with Karli.