I had never heard of a hummus sandwich until recently. I follow Maria from Two Peas and Their Pod on twitter. One day she tweeted that she had a hummus and veggie sandwich for lunch. I had never heard of such a thing. So I asked her about it. It’s basically a veggie sandwich. However, most veggie sandwiches I’ve seen use cream cheese.
You basically use the hummus in place of the cream cheese. So I decided to give it a try. I figured it would help use up veggies from my garden. It wasn’t bad. I must admit I’d take however that I’d take the cream cheese over the hummus on my sandwich any day, but hummus is much better for you. I have since discovered my local grocery store makes their own hummus and they have a lime hummus which I love. They also have a pesto hummus I want to try next.
This sandwich was also very filling, I couldn’t even finish the whole thing. So if you are looking for a good and health lunch, give this sandwich a try.
- BREAD, OF YOUR CHOICE (I USED A HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BAGEL)
- HUMMUS ( I USED STORE BOUGHT ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS)
- FRESH VEGGIES ( I USED CUCUMBER, TOMATO, SPROUTS, AND RED ONION)
Real Mom Kitchen
- Bread of your choice (I used a honey whole wheat bagel, Maria used homemade wheat bread)
- Hummus you can make your own, but I used store bought roasted red pepper hummus
- Fresh veggies I used cucumber, tomato, sprouts, and red onion you could also use avocado, lettuce, bell peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, herbs, olives, spinach, etc.
- Take your bread and spread one piece with hummus, just like you would with peanut butter. Top with favorite veggies followed by other slice of bread and enjoy!