In Utah, we have a fair amount of Hawaiian food trucks. They are frequently found at outdoor events throughout the state at events such as town days, fairs, and concerts.
Every time I have eaten at one, my meal includes a Hawaiian version of a traditional macaroni salad. It is delicious and always pairs perfect with whatever I order.
So to pair with the Hawaiian bbq chicken recipe I shared yesterday, I decided to fix a Hawaiian macaroni salad. The main thing with this salad is you have to give it at least 1 hour in the fridge before serving. However, I think it is best if you can give it overnight!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 green onion, thinly sliced – green and white parts
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in vinegar and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, mayo, and brown sugar. Pour over pasta and mix together until pasta is well coated.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. I think overnight is best.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Hawaiian
Recipe adapted from Culinary Hill.