Today I am sharing an awesome centerpiece that would be perfect to use at your next girls’ night in. Whether it be a bridal shower, book club, Bunco night, etc. your guests will be impressed with this fruit and vegetable handbag & shoes.
This centerpiece is mainly made from eggplants. Then you just need a few other ingredients. It really is fairly simple to make and will be a great conversation piece for your guests. Then you can always use leftover to make a delicious dish like eggplant parmesan or this tasty veggie dish (It’s a favorite of mine)!
Use it with whatever menu you may be serving along with a great vegetable tray. I just love the pop of color you can get on your food table with a tray of vegetables.
Veggies are also a hit if you serve them up with a tasty dip too. The Marzetti® brand has this creamy Southwest Ranch Veggie Dip. It is everything you expect with a great ranch dip but with a nice southwest kick!
Check out the Marzetti Facebook page and help support Girls on the Run. For every Like or Share of the stop-motion video through the FB page (up to 5,000), Marzetti will donate $1 to Girls on the Run.
Watch this video on how to make a vegetable handbag with matching shoes. Be sure to get the list of produce I used along with my instructions, tips, and tricks on how to make it. Get creative the next time you shop the produce section of your favorite store and see what you can “produce.”
And to get started, print this coupon for $1 off any Marzetti® Veggie Dip. https://bricks.coupons.com/Start.asp?tqnm=udigfou48497890&bt=vg&o=123023&c=LN&p=uRckd2tPPrint
- 1 seedless watermelon
- 1 cake stand
- Eggplant (I used 12)
- 1 wire hanger (like the kind from the dry cleaner)
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 can large black olives, drained
- 3 sprigs of mint
- Cut off both ends of the watermelon then place the watermelon on one of the cut ends. This will be the base. Then with a straight cut, cut the rind off of 2 sides of the watermelon. The cut sides will be the front and back of the purse. Place the watermelon on your cake stand.
- Then using toothpicks secure the eggplants, leafy end up, all around the watermelon creating the hand bag. If securing to the cut side of the watermelon place the toothpick in the eggplant and then secure. If securing on a part of the watermelon with rind, place the toothpick in the watermelon then press the eggplant on the toothpick to secure. I used 10 eggplants to build the base of my handbag.
- Then shape the wire in the shape of a “U” to make the handle of the handbag. Thread olives on the wire just like beads. Then insert the 2 ends of the wire into the watermelon creating the beaded handle of the handbag.
- Carefully break off 2 stalks of the fennel bulb. Cut these to create the heel of the shoes.
- Cut out part of 2 eggplant creating the inside of the shoes. The leafy part will be where you will attach the fennel heels.
- Then on the rounded end of the eggplant trim to made the flat tip of the shoe. Secure the fennel heel to each shoe using a toothpick.
- Use the 3 springs of mint to decorate the tips of the shoes and the handbag.
Disclosure: I have been invited to participate in a Marzetti ambassador program. This post is sponsored by Marzetti and product has been provided by them. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own.