You probably all have enjoyed a piece of that chocolate sheet cake that is made with buttermilk. Well, today I have a recipe that takes that same concept to make some delicious frosted buttermilk chocolate cupcakes.
To make the cupcakes, you start with beating butter and sugar together until smooth. Then, you beat in a couple of eggs. You do this one at a time along with some vanilla. Next, you will whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl. There is flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, you mix the buttermilk along with some water together. Now, you are going to alternate with adding the dry mix and the buttermilk mixture into the creamed butter/sugar mixture. You add it a third at a time, beating after each addition but only until combined.
Now you are ready to scoop that batter into muffin tins lined with paper cupcake liners. You want them to fill them 2/3 of the way full. They bake in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Let these little morsels cool after baking and then comes the frosting for these frosted buttermilk chocolate cupcakes.
This frosting is made using unsweetened chocolate that you melt instead of cocoa powder to make it oh so delicious. It also includes those standard frosting ingredients of butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. You also use a little evaporated milk to make it creamy. Once you pipe the frosting onto each cupcakes, they each get a sprinkling of chocolate sprinkles. That’s it, now you are ready to enjoy these tender portion controlled versions of chocolatey cakey goodness!Print
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 to 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 Tbsp evaporated milk, plus more if needed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, and butter and sugar and cream together with a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs in, one at a time, beating well after each one. Add in the vanilla and beat together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together. IN another bowl, combine the water and butter milk together.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk in thirds to the butter mixture, mixing well with the mixer after each addition.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. This will make 24 cupcakes. Fill each 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of one on the middle cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, add the butter and powdered sugar to a large bowl. Beat together with a mixer until smooth. Add in the melted chocolate and vanilla. Beat until smooth and then use to frost the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles. Makes 2 dozen cupcakes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooling time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from Taste of Home.