Recently, on Good Things Utah (a local tv show) they had Tami Vincent from Kneader’s Bakery share a recipe for French Toast Souffle. Kneader’s is this wonderful bakery/restaurant here in Utah. I like to go there and have their turkey cranberry croissant sandwich or endless French toast often. It’s a very yummy place to go.
Now, this recipe originally called for a loaf of Kneader’s chunky cinnamon bread. Knowing that a lot of my readers can’t get a loaf of Kneader’s bread, when I made this recipe, I made it with a loaf of cinnamon bread from my local Smith’s grocery store bakery. I got a loaf that hadn’t been sliced. I think it work just fine. If you have access to Kneader’s chunky cinnamon bread, it’s even better.
This recipe is up at the top of my list when it comes to baked French toast recipes. My favorite part of this was the cream cheese, butter, syrup mixture that you put on the top. It turned out to be all caramel like and ooey-gooey. That is so yummy. I also served mine with fresh strawberries which also added to the flavor. It helped balance out all the sweetness in this French toast. YUM! You’ll also see why this recipe has the word souffle in the title. This really puffs up in the oven. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to put a baking sheet under you dish to prevent a mess in your oven.
- CREAM CHEESE
- MAPLE SYRUP (I JUST USED PANCAKE SYRUP)
- CINNAMON BREAD (FROM YOUR LOCAL BAKERY)
- HALF/HALF (I USED 1 CUP CREAM AND 1 CUP SKIM MILK)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cube butter
- 1 cup maple syrup (I just used pancake syrup)
- 1 1oaf of cinnamon bread (from your local bakery)
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups half/half (I used 1 cup cream and 1 cup skim milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla (more if you like)
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the cream cheese, butter, and maple syrup. Microwave for 30 seconds and beat until smooth.
- Cut bread into 1 ½ inch pieces and put in a 9 by 11 inch baking pan.Then pour cream cheese mixture over the top of the bread.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, half and half, and vanilla. Beat until frothy, pour over cinnamon bread in pan. You can place in the fridge over night or bake immediately.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Dust with powder sugar, fruit, or syrup. (I did all three) Serve hot. Serves12.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in May 2015.