Way back in 2009, I began making these freezer egg and muffin sandwiches. So I must admit, I was not a real morning person when my kids were younger. When my daughter was born, she has had medical problems. She ever slept good at night until we finally started using medication. So, I really value my sleep. Because of this, I never was the type of mom to get up and fix my kids breakfast. It’s usually a bowl of cold cereal.
Then on occasion, they would get Pop Tarts, Eggo pancakes (when they go on sale for a great price), or banana bread from my freezer as an option. So in 2009, I decided to try to make some items ahead of time to have for my kids in the freezer. I found a recipe at The New Frugal Mom for egg sandwiches. I managed to make them for about 44 cents a sandwich. Much cheaper than most you can buy.
When I priced these freezer egg and muffin sandwiches back then, the muffins were my most expensive item. They were $2.49 for 12. I probably could have purchased them for less if I had time to plan ahead and watch for a sale or go to a bread outlet. I got my Kraft cheese singles (16 slices in a pkg) for $1.50. The eggs were 99 cents a dozen. And a pkg of deli ham (Land O Frost w/ 36 slices in a pkg)for $2.79. Also, I made some with already cooked sausage patties that I bought in the freezer section at Walmart. The sausage ones did cost more.Print
- 12 English muffins, toasted
- 1 dozen eggs, scrambled (I use a big electric skillet for this)
- 6 American cheese slices, halved
- 12 deli ham slices (or sausage patties or slices of bacon)
- Scramble eggs; while eggs are cooking, split and toast muffins. (I cooked my eggs more like an omelet and then cut them into 12 squares).
- Once eggs are cooked, set up an assembly line of muffins, eggs, cheese, ham; assemble and allow time to cool, then wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze wrapped egg sandwiches in freezer bags or freezer boxes. I used a gallon size freezer bag to hold 4 sandwiches, these bad can be reused for each time I make them. Makes 12.
- To heat: wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 45-65 seconds. Be careful it will be nice and hot.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: American
This is the original photo from this post when it was first posted in September 2008.