So I made flatbread tacos with the flatbread recipe from yesterday. I adapted the recipe from one I found in a recent issue of Taste of Home. The whole family loved these! The nice thing about the flatbread is it is thicker and more durable than a tortilla, so you can really load them with filling.
The flatbread would also make a great base to build a navajo taco on and much healthier than a fried piece of dough. I also love to add beans to taco filling. It stretches the meat and also adds some fiber to your meal. I chose to add the tomatoes with the chipotle chilies because I love the smokiness of the chipotle chilies. You can also make this same meat mixture to for taco salads.
Yum! I put lettuce, shredded cheese, olives, green onion, and one spoonful of each reduced fat sour cream, salsa, and guacamole on my flatbread tacos. I’m getting hungry just thinking about this again.
- SOUR CREAM
- RANCH SALAD DRESSING MIX
- LEMON JUICE
- GROUND BEEF
- RED KIDNEY BEANS
- PETITE DICED TOMATOES WITH CHIPOTLE CHILIES
- 1TACO SEASONING (THIS IS 1/2 OF AN ENVELOPE)
- RECIPE OF FLATBREAD
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: SLICED RIPE OLIVES, SHREDDED LETTUCE, DICED GREEN ONION AND SHREDDED CHEESE
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 2 tsp ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) petite diced tomatoes with chipotle chilies , undrained
- 1/8 cup taco seasoning (this is 1/2 of an envelope)
- 1 recipe of flatbread
- Optional toppings: sliced ripe olives, shredded lettuce, diced green onion and shredded cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, dressing mix and lemon juice; chill until serving.(at least 30 minutes)
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, and taco seasoning; heat through
- To serve, spread each flatbread with 2 tablespoons ranch sour cream then top each with meat mixture. Sprinkle with toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican