Today is the last of the sweet treats recipes for Mother’s Day. However, I will have some more ideas in tomorrow’s fab five for you. Today’s recipe is a fun way to make a simple sugar cookie. These easy flower sugar cookies are something the kids can even make for mom or grandma.
You just take a ball of sugar cookie dough and roll it in colored sugar. You could use store bought cookie dough, but I have included a recipe. Then, you cut it with kitchen shears to make it a flower shape. You end up with a cookie that has a scalloped edge just like a flower.
I have also teamed up with Nat and Holly over at My Sister’s Suitcase. They have created a free printable that you can use to give with these cookies. I think it would be so cute to give mom these easy flower sugar cookies with some real flowers and the printable.
This printable is available in several different colors. If you have a scalloped punch, you can punch the tag out with that. I just used my scalloped scissors to cut out the tag. It makes the tag look like a flower too.Print
Easy Flower Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 cup butter, SOFTENED
- 1 1/2 C white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- colored sugar sprinkles to roll cookies in
- Preheat to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll dough into balls and then roll in colored sugar.
- Using kitchen shears or scissors, snip the ball of dough in half, halfway down. (see photos below for visual of the steps of shaping the flower)
- Then snip each half into 3 petals. Turn over so sugar side is facing up and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Help spread “petals” of the “flower” out with your fingers if needed.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges just start to get golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks. makes 2-3 dozen
Recipe inspired by Better Homes and Gardens.
Cute and yummy! I just made some myself.
I didn’t have colored sprinkles, so I made some colored sugar. They turned out lighter than yours in color, but cute still.
I also had a hard time with making flowers the way you did, so I instead rolled balls, squished them sort of flat and then just snipped 4-6 lines around the circle. It worked great!
It’s a good thing I only baked half now or I might eat them all before my hubby comes home.
These look fab. My girls will want to make these!
These are so cute! Will have to make some with my girls, pinned!