Today’s recipe is for chocolate lovers! It is a breakfast recipe but is so rich and sweet it really could qualify as a dessert. I am sure your Sweetie would love this breakfast treat for Valentine’s. I created this recipe for double chocolate strawberry topped pancakes with inspiration from a recipe I found in my recent Betty Crocker cookbook magazine. The recipe that inspired me was the winner of the Better with Bisquick Recipe Contest. I took the basic idea of her recipe using Bisquick and turned it into one using complete pancake mix.
I loved the pancakes the way the were, but my hubby thought there were too many chocolate chips. So I have allowed for some chocolate chip freedom in the recipe. Use the smaller amount if you are worried about chocolate overload or go all out for the full amount if you are a serious chocoholic! It is decadent. I also went for frozen strawberries because it simplified the recipe and they are less expensive right now for me in comparison for fresh. However, you could go for fresh if you prefer. Just slice them up and give them a little time to macerate in some sugar.
I also made mine in a cute heart shape using a pancake mold. If you don’t have a pancake mold, you can do the same thing using metal heart shaped cookie cutters. You can always try to free form the heart shape with how you pour the batter into the skillet to or you can always just stick with the good old traditional round shape. No matter how you shape these pancakes they are delicious.
Since they are so rich you won’t need that many to fill you up either. I only ate one and I was good. Since they are so filling, we had leftovers. I must say that I enjoyed these Double Chocolate Strawberry Topped Pancakes even more the second day. I just microwaved the pancake for 30 seconds and was good to go. So if you want to serve them on Valentine’s but don’t want to get up early, you can make them the day before. Then you will have a yummy Valentine’s breakfast already to go. If not these really are simple enough to quickly make on Valentine’s morning thanks to the pancake mix.Print
- 3 cups complete pancake mix (I used Hungry Jack Buttermilk Complete)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 1/4 cup water (You may not need the full amount)
- 1–1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I used semi sweet)
- 24 oz container frozen sliced strawberries in sugar, thawed
- sweetened whipped cream
- In a large bowl, whisk the pancake mix and cocoa together until well blended. Then add the yogurt and 2 cups of the water until just until blended. If needed, add the extra 1/4 cup water. The amount of water will vary depending on the type of yogurt and pancake mix you use. You want the pancake mix to be on the thick side to hold the chocolate chips.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour onto a hot greased skillet over heat just below medium. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around the edges, then turn and cook other side.
- Serve topped with strawberries and sweetened whipped cream. Makes 10-12 large pancakes.