The Super Bowl almost coming up and I have a whole week planned next week of Super Bowl food. To be perfectly honest I never watch the game, I just enjoy the yummy party food and the commercials. BTW, I loved the Doritos commercial last year and can’t wait to see what they have for this year. Anyway, food is a big party of the party for me. I have some good recipes in store for you. Today’s crock pot pork carnitas recipe would be a great addition to your Super Bowl menu though. However, I originally just made it as a good old dinner you can toss in the crockpot!
It is a Mexican meat recipe that is very similar to the Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Verde I have shared before. It was a hit with the family and I had leftovers to freeze for another meal. My “go to” second round with the recipes tend to be quesadillas and tostadas. This meat will be yummy for either one of those too! So grab a roast and your crockpot and get cooking! You won’t be disappointed with these crock pot pork carnitas.Print
- 2 lb. pork tenderloin roast
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro*Tel (I used mild)
- desired toppings – cheese, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, avocado, lime juice, etc.
- Place the roast in the crock pot followed by the onion.
- Sprinkle the cumin over the roast and onions, then add the salsa and Ro*Tel.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours until tender.
- One cooked, remove roast from crock pot and shred.
- Drain juice out of crock pot reserving some in a bowl. You want to leave the tomatoes, onion, etc and just remove the juice.
- Add the meat back to the crock pot. Stir in with the veggies.
- Add some of the reserved juice to the meat until nice and moist.
- Serve on tortillas with desired topping.
Adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything.