Today’s slow cooker recipe is a simple crock pot teriyaki chicken. You make it using chicken thighs. Chicken thighs tend to work better in the slow cooker and have more flavor. However, if you really oppose chicken thighs you can always use breasts. I served mine over rice and with some steamed vegetables like a rice bowl.
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs ( about 3 lbs)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp minced garlic
- pepper to taste
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- 5 tsp water
- Hot cooked rice
- Steamed vegetables (like a stir fry version)
- Place chicken in your slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and pepper until well combine. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours until chicken is tender.
- Turn off slow cooker and remove chicken to a plate.
- Skim off any fat from the cooking liquid. Place liquid in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Place chicken pack in to slow cooker to keep warm.
- In another bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the boiling liquid. Cook until thickened.
- To serve, place some rice in a bowl or plate. The top with vegetables followed by chicken and some of the sauce. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom.