This recipe for crispy ranch fries with fry sauce comes courtesy of Ms. Paula Deen. I got it out of her July/August issue. I must admit my favorite way to have fries is deep fired, but I do try to eat healthier for the most part. However, I do splurge on occasion. OK, probably more than occasionally, but this was one time I was being healthier. With this recipe, there’s no deep frying, just cookin’ the fries in the oven. I also like this recipe because it jazzes up regular fries with some fun seasoning and sauce.
Now, if you have ever been in Utah, you know that we all love fry sauce with our fries here.
If you aren’t aware of this Utah phenomenon, it’s really quite simple. We Utahans like to dip our fries in fry sauce instead of ketchup. Now, fry sauce is basically a mixture of equal amounts of both ketchup and mayonnaise. There are different variations with seasonings added or things like bbq sauce being used in place of the ketchup, but the basic fry sauce is mayo and ketchup. Now Paula makes a fry sauce to go with these fries, equal amounts mayo and ketchup, but them mixes in some dry ranch dressing mix. Another twist to a Utah classic. The fries also get a sprinkle of the ranch dressing mix too. This is a great combination and a good way to mix up the good old stand by of french fries.
The recipe called for extra-crispy fast food French fries.
I couldn’t find these so I purchased Kroger shoe string fries from my local Smith’s. I also cooked the fries longer than suggested to get them nice and crispy. Still not as wonderful as deep fried french fries, but still good. The whole family loved them. I served them along side the recipe I have for french dip sandwiches. Yummy, delicious, comfort food.
Now, I want to let you all know that I am in the process of switching my blog over to wordpress. It’s the thing to do when you get big in the blog world. I guess I’m big now. Anyway, I’m not exactly sure when we will be all switched over and the site will be live. However, you can all change your bookmarks etc to realmomkitchen.com.
Some of you may even already have that address. That is where you will always be able to find me now. So much easier than blogger.com, just remember me, Real Mom Kitchen and add a .com. That address will take you here for now. I will let you know when we are at wordpress and you will notice a slight difference but everything will basically be the same as you know it.
- FROZEN EXTRA CRISPY FAST FOOD FRIES
- DRY RANCH DRESSING MIX
Crispy Ranch Fries with Fry Sauce
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 26 oz. bag frozen extra crispy fast food fries (I used shoestring fries)
- 1 pkg. dry ranch dressing mix divided
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Measure out 1 Tbsp ranch dressing mix and set aside.
- In a small bow, mix mayo until nice and smooth. Then mix in ketchup and remaining ranch dressing. Put sauce in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Place fries in a single layer on you baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with the 1 Tbsp ranch dressing mix you set aside earlier.
- Bake for 11 to 15 minutes (or until you think they are nice and crispy). Serve fries with sauce.