I have yet another tasty way that you can use up leftover Thanksgiving turkey once the big day is over. Make this creamy open faced turkey sandwich.
Create a simple open face sandwich topped with a creamy sauce coating chunks of tender turkey served over crisp slices of toast. Finish it off with a sprinkling of fresh diced tomato. It adds a nice freshness.
This is a great way to enjoy that leftover turkey but it is different from the regular Thanksgiving flavors.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 8 slices bread, toasted
- chopped tomato for topping
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in onion and celery until tender. Whisk in flour until blended; cook and stir until golden brown.
- Slowly add in the stock and milk while whisking. Bring to a boil, stir constantly and cook until thickened.
- Add in cream cheese, peas, turkey, salt and pepper Cook until blended and heated through. For each serving, cut 2 slices of toast into triangles. Top with some of the turkey mixture followed by diced tomato. Serves 4.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.