Today’s “cool treat” is crazy I’m telling you, crazy! First thing that makes this recipe crazy is you make the ice cream using your food processor. Second crazy thing, the base of the ice cream is only one ingredient – frozen bananas. Yep, you hear me right – frozen bananas.
So really you can make ice cream with just bananas. I know it’s crazy. Just think how healthy this ice cream is. It would also be dairy free. It is amazing at how creamy this turns out. We all loved it!
Now I took it up a notch by making a chunky monkey version adding walnuts, peanut butter, and mini chocolate chips. I have also seen other variations. I included those below the recipe and I plan on trying a lot of them this summer. Good thing it is so healthy!
- 2-3 ripe bananas (just depends on their size)
- 1-2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp honey (for added sweetness)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Slice bananas into 1/2 inch slices and place on a small cookie sheet and freeze for 1 hour.
- Put the frozen banana slices into you food processor and puree until creamy. You can scrape down the sides if needed. Don’t worry, it takes a minute for it to all get creamy but it will happen.
- Add the peanut butter and honey. Puree until mixed in. Then fold in the nuts and chocolate chip and enjoy or place in a container in the freezer until ready to enjoy! Note: I did add my nuts with the peanut butter and honey. My family doesn’t like nuts so I pureed them. This way they get the added nutrition from the nuts but they had no idea it was in there.
Recipe adapted from Claire Robinson on 5 Ingredient Fix.
Strawberry version – just add 1 cup frozen strawberries for each banana and a little milk if needed.
Nutella version – add 3 -4 Tbsp of Nutella
Banana Peanut Butter – make like the chunky monkey minus the nuts and chocolate chips and add a little more peanut butter
Banana Chocolate Chip – make like the chunky monkey minus the PB and nuts
Banana Maple – add a Tbsp or two of maple syrup
Banana Chocolate – a 2 tsp of cocoa powder
Banana, PB and Chocolate – just make the banana chocolate version and a 2 Tablespoons of PB
Caramel Banana – add a Tbsp or so of caramel syrup