This post contains affiliate links.
It’s a crazy snow day today in Utah and the perfect day to make this comforting chicken and rice casserole. It is a big hit with the family now and all starts with a package of chicken Rice-a-Roni.
This recipe includes green pepper and my husband does not like green peppers. However, he was totally fine with them in this comforting chicken and rice casserole. You start by making the chicken flavored Rice-a-Roni according to package directions, but with an extra 1/2 cup water. Once it’s cooked for 5 minutes, add in some diced carrots, green pepper, and onion. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
This is a great recipe to use rotisserie chicken for. You will need 2 cups of cooked chicken. Next, you add that into the cooked rice along with a can of cream of chicken soup and a cup of sour cream. Then, add the mixture to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Last thing you will need to do is sprinkle it with some cheddar cheese. Now, it’s time to bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. The result is a creamy flavorful chicken rice dish with cheesy goodness on top! It’s the perfect comforting dish to eat on a chilly snowy day!
- CHICKEN FLAVORED RICE-A-RONI
- GREEN BELL PEPPER
- CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
- SOUR CREAM
- COOKED CHICKEN BREAST
- SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE
Comforting Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 (6.9 oz) pkg chicken flavored Rice-a-Roni
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the Rice-a-Roni according to package directions adding an extra 1/2 cup of rice. After 5 minutes of cooking add in the carrots, green pepper and onion. Continue cooking for 10 more minutes until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix in the cream soup, sour cream, chicken breast. Remove from heat.
- Spread the rice mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve 6.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: chicken
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Hot Eats Cool Reads.