Just a little bit ago I shared my recipe for eclairs. Eclairs are one of my absolute favorite desserts. If you can’t have an eclair, the next best thing is a cream puff. Cream puffs are usually missing that delicious chocolate icing on top, but are still very tasty.
I recently came across this recipe for Chocolate Mousse-Filled Cream Puffs from another fellow blogger who happens to also be named Laura. Her site is The Cooking Photographer. So Laura actually got this recipe from Hershey’s. I figured if it came from Hershey’s it had to be good. I was really drawn to the recipe mainly because of the chocolate mousse recipe. The only mousse I’ve ever made before now involved pudding mix and cool whip.
Other recipes that I have seen for chocolate mousse usually involve melted chocolate, eggs, and cooking it on the stove top. This recipe involves no cooking. If you can boil water, I did mine in the microwave, and use a mixer, then you can make this chocolate mousse.
I must tell you, that this mousse was divine and totally worth it. This will now be my go to chocolate mousse recipe. It would also be excellent in a pie or in a parfait. It would even be wonderful in a glass with a dollop of whipped cream. You simply must have this recipe. It is a staple. Thanks Laura for sharing this fabulous Chocolate Mousse-Filled Cream Puffs recipe. My family was in heaven with this simple dessert.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1 cup 1/2 pt. cold whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small cup; let stand 1 minute to soften. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool slightly.
- Stir together sugar and cocoa in medium bowl; add whipping cream and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of mixer, scraping bottom of bowl occasionally, until mixture is stiff. Pour in gelatin mixture; beat until well blended. Store in the refrigerator while you make the pastry.
Chocolate Mousse Filled-Cream Puffs
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease cookie sheet.
- Combine water, butter and salt in medium saucepan; cook to boiling, stirring until butter melts. Add flour all at once; stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture leaves the side of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating with spoon after each addition until smooth. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons into 6 mounds, 3 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Horizontally slice small portion from top of puffs; set tops aside. Remove and discard any soft dough from inside puffs. Cool completely. Fill puffs with the chocolate mousse; replace tops. Refrigerate about 1 hour and sprinkle the top with powdered sugar just before serving. Makes about 6 puffs.