Do you fondue? If not then you MUST! One of my most ABSOLUTE favorite ways to enjoy chocolate is in a fondue! Also, I think Chocolate Fondue can be a really romantic dessert and is PERFECT for Valentine’s (Wink, wink). So when it comes to how I fondue, I am a purest! You want to be able to enjoy the chocolate itself and not add too much to it, keep it simple.
So when I make fondue all I do is combine chocolate with some cream. That’s it. It’s basically just a ganache that is kept warm. Obviously, if you can spluge on a good chocolate to make it with, it is worth it! When I went to Philly/Camden, I picked up a bag of Godiva Chocolate at the Campbell’s gift shop. It was $7 for 2 lbs. of broken bars of their dark chocolate. I know, I should have got more. What was I thinking? So I made the fondue with it and it was DIVINE!!!!!! Pure chocolate HEAVEN here folks! I could have died with a smile after eating it.
I do want you to know that this is still good with whatever chocolate to make it with.
A bag of chocolate chips is still tasty. You can also choose what kind of chocolate you like. Whether you like milk, semi-sweet, or dark – it will be delicious.
My personal favorite thing to dip in fondue is marshmallows. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy other things in it too. I mean how can you not? It’s dipped in chocolate! However, my all time fav is the marshmallows followed by fresh pineapple. I have included a list below of ideas of what to dip in your fondue. Pick a few and enjoy!
I prefer to melt my chocolate in a double broiler or microwave and then add it to a fondue pot or small crock pot kept on warm. The recipe below is the microwave version to make things easy for ya. You can even serve the fondue in any old dish if you don’t have a fondue pot or small crock pot. If it starts to thicken too much, just microwave it for a few seconds. However, I think you’ll be fine. It won’t last that long! You will have it devoured in no time.
Also, no worries if you don’t have the fondue forks. Wooden skewers and regular forks work just as well. This recipe is also for 2 here but can easily be double, tripled, etc. Happy fondue!
- 6 oz. of chocolate
- 1/4 cup of cream
- Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds and stir.
- Then microwave for 15 seconds intervals until smooth and melted, stirring after each interval.
- Place in a serving dish, fondue pot, or small crock pot set on warm. Serve with your favorite dipping items. Serves 2.
- sliced bananas, apples, or pears
- pineapple chunks (I prefer fresh)
- dried fruit such as apricots, papaya and mangoes
- citrus sections
- strawberries, cherries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or grapes (Yes, chocolate covered grapes are quite tasty)
Cakes and other sweet things
- angel food cake or pound cake cut into small pieces
- graham crackers or sticks
- marshmallows – there are many kinds such as strawberry regular, and toasted coconut)
- Valentine shaped Peeps
- mini brownies or brownies cut into bite sized pieces or heart shapes using a small cookie cutter
- tiny cookies (Store bought or homemade – chocolate chip and peanut butter work well)
- cinnamon bears or hearts
- cheesecake bites (found in the freezer section)
- rice krispie treats cut into bite sized pieces or cut into heart shapes using a small cookie cutter
- mini cream puffs (in the freezer section)
- Potato chips