Today is the last day of Comfort Week and I am finished with my favorite of the 6 recipes, Chicken a la King. The perfect way to end the week. This recipe is perfect to serve at Christmas time. The celery and pimento give the dish a festive look. It would also be excellent to change to Turkey a la King just but using leftover turkey in place of the chicken. I adapted this recipe from one I found from Melissa over at A Little Loveliness.
The recipe makes enough to serve 8 and is very versatile.
I had enough to make 2 meals for my family. The first night I served it in puff pastry shells. This is my favorite way to have it. Light, crisp and buttery puffed pastry drench with this creamy and flavorful sauce. I was in heaven. This takes the dish to a higher level. This way would be a perfect way to serve it at an elegant Christmas dinner.
The second night, I serve the leftovers over rice. This was the way the rest of my family enjoyed it. They just haven’t learned to appreciate puff pastry like I do. You can also serve this over biscuits, noodles, or toast points too. I really think any way is a great way to serve this.
Be sure to join me next week. On Monday, I will share a yummy breakfast that would be perfect to serve over the Thanksgiving weekend, especially if you have any guests from out of town. Then on Tuesday and Wednesday, I will have some recipes to use up all of those Thanksgiving leftovers you may have. Thursday, I will be taking the day off for the Holiday. Finally, on Friday and Saturday I will have some quick dinner recipes for those busy holiday nights.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups diced onion
- 5–6 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz) jar diced pimento
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- puff pastry shells, toast points, biscuits, rice or noodles to serve over
- Saute celery, mushrooms, and onion in butter over medium-low heat to reach desired tenderness.
- Gradually add 5-6 tablespoons flour, stirring constantly to incorporate.
- Turn up heat. As mixture thickens, add chicken stock and half-and-half.
- Then stir in chicken and pimento. Spoon chicken mixture into puff pastry shells or over toast points, biscuits, rice, or noodles to serve. Serves 8