This post may contain affiliate links.
Today’s recipe is a coffee cake that begins with sugar cookie dough. Yes, you heard me right, a coffee cake that uses sugar cookie dough in the recipe. It happens to be one of the winning recipes from the recent Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest. It’s a caramelized peach upside-down coffee cake. I saw that this recipe begins with sugar cookie dough. I was intrigued on how that would work.
You make a yummy sugary peach layer to the bottom of the pan. It is then followed by the cakey layer. This is where the cookie dough comes in. It is used as a base with the addition of some eggs and baking powder to give it some lift along with some half-and-half for richness and to make the mixture a batter consistency. After baking, you invert the cake and top it with peach preserves and pecans.
I left the pecans out because my family isn’t fans of nuts. However, I then added some almond extract to the preserve mixture. I love the taste of peaches with almonds. The other reason, I can have that nutty flavor without adding nuts and my family has no problem with the extract. This recipe for caramelized peach upside-down coffee cake totally works and was completely consumed by my family of 5.
Check out my giveaway page today and find out how you could get a $25 gift card to try this recipe.Print
Caramelized Peach Upside-Down Coffee Cake
- 1 roll Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/4 cup LAND O LAKES® Unsalted or Salted Butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled peaches or frozen sliced peaches, thawed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 LAND O LAKES® Eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2/3 cup Smucker’s® Peach Preserves
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Let cookie dough stand at room temperature 10 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Line 10-inch springform pan with foil. Lightly spray bottom and side of foil-lined pan with non-stick spray.
- In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon until blended. Add sliced peaches; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until peaches are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon and spread peach mixture over bottom of pan.
- In large bowl, break up cookie dough. Add baking powder and eggs. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until well blended.
- On low speed, beat in half-and-half an additional minute or until cookie dough mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour mixture evenly over peaches in pan.
- Bake 35 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 2 minutes.
- Place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan. Carefully remove foil. Cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, stir peach preserves, orange juice, and almond extract together until blended. Microwave peach mixture on High 30 to 60 seconds or until warm.
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury.
[…] Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Easy Blueberry Coffee Cake Sweet Orange and Toasted Almond Coffee Cake Caramelized Peach Upside Down Coffee Cake Coffee Cake in a Mug Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake Mini Blueberry Coffee Cakes Streusel Coffee Cake […]
I made this exact recipe recently and I too was a little skeptical about use of cookie dough in this recipe but it turned out wonderfully! Those folks at Pillsbury know how to choose a winner!
Caramelized Peach Upside Coffee Cake