This post may contain affiliate links.
This week, I am focusing on food that has flavors of the season. We are beginning the week with the combination of chocolate and peppermint in a Candy Cane Chocolate Bread.
I am not really a fan of peppermint on it’s own but add in some chocolate and I’m there. This bread has a hint of peppermint in it and then it gets drizzled with white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes.
If you don’t want to crush the candy canes yourself, they even sell them already crushed for you at the store. This bread is moist and delicious.
Candy Cane Chocolate Bread
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3 Tbsp crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray three 8 x 4 inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add oil the eggs, water, yogurt, oil and extracts. Beat together until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add 1/3 the flour mixture to the creamed mixture. Follow with half of the buttermilk, then another 1/3 of the flour. Repeat the remaining butter milk and flour.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between the three pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- About 30 minutes before serving drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy cane. Makes 3 loaves.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Oh looks so cute! Would be really nice for Christmas!