Mashed potatoes are a common side, but for Christmas you want to make them special and kick them up a notch. This buttermilk herbed mashed potatoes recipe does just that.
These mashed potatoes include buttermilk along with some fresh herbs. They are the perfect ingredients to take regular mashed potatoes to extraordinary mashed potatoes. Those fresh herbs just add amazing flavor and freshness to those creamy mashed potatoes.
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, skins on and washed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, removed from stems and minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, removed from stems and minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, add potatoes with enough cold water to cover them. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Covered and cook for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain.
- Mash the potatoes until they begin to break down. Add in the buttermilk and herbs and continue to mash just until it reaches the desired consistency. Stir in the sour cream and butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm with extra butter. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Fork Knife Swoon.