I got this recipe for Blondies from a site online called Simply Recipes. The person who posted the recipe said it was his “go-to dessert” and only takes 5 minutes to make. So yesterday I was looking for a quick recipe to whip up for a treat and found this in my pile of online recipes to try. Plus I had some butterscotch chips that needed to be used.
It really did take about 5 minutes to get this put together. The recipe called for dark brown sugar which I never keep on hand. You can substitute 1 cup light brown sugar with one tablespoon molasses. I always have those two ingredients in my pantry. This recipe makes an 8 x 8 pan, but could be doubled.
Personally if I doubled it, I would put it in two 8 x 8 pans, because then you would have 4 corner pieces. I absolutely love the corner pieces when it comes to this recipe. For me, the crunch sides that touch the pan are the best. You can also use nuts if you want and can use chocolate chips in place of the butterscotch chips. This was yummy and a cinch to whip up.
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup of butter melted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar or use 1 cup light brown sugar and one Tbsp molasses
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup of butterscotch chips chopped walnuts and chocolate chips are equally tasty
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour an 8X8 pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, mix it all together with a spoon. Add the butterscotch chips or other mix-ins.
- Pour into the pan and spread evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (I had to cook min for 30 min) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool. Cut into squares and serve. Makes 9 blondies.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in April 2019.