This week I am really trying to get in some of those final Summer recipes in to enjoy the last bit that we have left. I have a feeling Fall will be arriving in Utah very sooner since our Summer hasn’t been as sweltering hot as previous years. Today’s recipe is a really fun twist on traditional bbq sauce. This is a homemade blackberry bbq sauce recipe that gets a fruity twist with addition of fresh blackberries. May sound strange but it really is surprisingly good.
This sauce is easy to make thanks to the microwave. It also turns out really thick thanks to that natural pectin in the blackberries. It is the perfect consistency for slathering it on meat. I used it on some bone in bbq ribs on the grill. I also have used it as a dipping sauce for grilled chicken. If the seeds really bother you in this homemade blackberry bbq sauce, you could probably strain it before cooking it in the microwave. The ginger is also a delicious addition in this sauce. It helps cut through the sweetness.
- BROWN SUGAR
- FRESH GINGER ( I USED GOURMET GARDEN GINGER)
- HOT SAUCE
- 1 1/4 cup blackberries
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger (yes that amount is correct, I used Gourmet Garden Ginger)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste (I only used a couple dashes)
- Place the puree in a 1 quart microwave safe dish. Cover with a piece of wax paper and microwave for 4 minutes.
- Stir and microwave for another 4 minutes, stirring if needed. Makes 1 1/3 cups sauce.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine.