Today’s soup is a black bean soup that I found in an issue of Cooking with Paula Deen. This version gets a nice start. It all begins with some bacon, then you cook the onion and garlic in the bacon grease.
Then you add in the beans, broth, cumin, and chili powder. You will bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
Then you are going to spoon ½ of the mixture into a blender and process until smooth. However, be careful when using a blender with really hot food. Keep the lid slightly cracked to release steam or you can end up with a soup explosion. This simple soup comes together in about 45 minutes.
Serve this black bean soup alongside a quesadilla and you have a delicious meal. It’s what I call the Mexican version of grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Today I am also starting a fun 8 weeks of Christmas Goodies with some other bloggers.
For the next 8 Wednesdays, I will post a link or recipe for a Christmas goodie. Then you can click on the link up icon below to check out a bunch of other goodies from other bloggers and even add your own! Today’s is one of my favorite goodies to make at Christmas, Nutty Cereal Candy. It uses coconut, almond slivers Golden Grahams and Rice Chex. Just click on the photo to get the recipe.
Black Bean Soup
Real Mom Kitchen
- 5 slices of bacon finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 15.25 ounce cans of black beans drained
- 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Sour cream tortilla strips or chips and cheddar cheese for serving
- Cook bacon over med-high heat for 3 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Add onions and garlic and cook until onion is tender.
- Add beans, broth, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon ½ of the mixture into a blender and process until smooth, but be careful when using a blender with really hot food. Keep the lid slightly cracked to release steam or you can end up with a soup explosion. (you could also blend half of it with an immersion bender) Return mixture to pan and combine with the other ½ of the soup. Mix well and serve. Serve this with sour cream, tortilla chips or strips and cheese if desired.