This post may contain affiliate links.
I really enjoyed the bbq pulled pork nachos that I shared a little bit ago. So I was excited to try another recipe that incorporated some kind of bbq meat. This time I went for chicken, but you could totally do this barbecue chicken and penne skillet with beef or pork if you prefer it. Now you can buy bbq meat from the store. This is what I did. Or it is also a great way to reuse leftovers. This dish was tasty and simple to put together.
First thing you will need is some cooked penne pasta. You can change the type of pasta if you prefer, but penne works great. After that, you cook some onion and garlic in some butter. Once that is done, you will mix in the bbq chicken. It doesn’t stop there. You will mix in with some green chilies, roasted red peppers, chicken broth, cumin, salt, and pepper. Now it is time to mix in the cooked pasta. Last, you sprinkle on some shredded cheese and diced green onion. It’s a great combination of flavors and a great way to utilize any left over bbq meat. You will love this barbecue chicken and penne skillet.Print
Barbecue Chicken and Penne Skillet
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 container (18 ounces) refrigerated fully cooked barbecued shredded chicken or 3 cups leftover shredded bbq chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained (like Rotel)
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 chopped green onions
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in the chicken, tomatoes, roasted red pepper, broth, cumin, pepper and salt; heat through.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and cheese to chicken mixture. Sprinkle with green onions. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from Simple and Delicious April/May 2011 issue.
[…] Adapted from: Real Mom Kitchen […]
[…] Barbecue Chicken Penne Skillet from Laura on Real Mom Kitchen […]
I made this dish and wrote about it here. It was a big hit with the whole family. Even the leftovers. Can’t get any better than that. Thank you for sharing this quick and easy recipe.
I never know what to do with leftover bbq meats – this is a great use. Thanks!
OOhh this sounds great! What a great way to use up leftover chicken!
Hey Laura – enjoyed your piece on using leftover BBQ meats. I wrote this recipe several years ago and it was published in Gourmet Magazine. It uses leftover BBQ chicken. Enjoy! https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chunky-Barbecued-Chicken-Salad-Peterson-15147