Tuna sandwiches, like these Amazing Tuna Salad Sandwiches were a standard at my home as I was growing up. They have been a standard at my home as well as my kids have been growing up.
As a young girl, the sandwiches included toasted bread, tuna, mayo, lettuce, and pickles. For my kids, it’s all different. With some they like their bread toasted and some don’t. Some like pickles in their sandwich and some don’t. And some like lettuce in there and some don’t. Everyone has their own way of enjoying a tuna sandwich.
Well, this recipe takes that standard tuna sandwich that I grew up with to a new level. Now this version uses dill pickles. I have used sweet pickles sometimes and dill pickles other times in my standard sandwich. However, I really love the flavor of the dill pickles the best. This elevated Amazing Tuna Salad Sandwiches version also includes diced celery for some added crunch and diced green onion for even more flavor.
- 2 (4 oz) cans of tuna, drained
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 green onion, just green part diced
- 1 large dill pickle, diced
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 slices bread of choice
- 3 leaves of lettuce, optional
- Add tuna in a medium sized mixing bowl and flake with a fork
- Add everything else with the exception of bread to the bowl. Stir until combined.
- Toast bread if desired. Divide tuna mixture between 3 of the bread slices and top each with a leave of lettuce if desired.Top each with the remaining bread slices. Makes 3 sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from A Stray Kitchen.