There is no need for tomato soup from a can when you have this 20 minute creamy tomato soup recipe. It is quick and easy to make and tastes oh so much better! Most of the ingredients you probably already have in the pantry.
You do use canned crushed tomatoes with some canned tomato paste for the tomato portion of this soup. However, the taste is much different than the canned condensed verion of tomato soup. Parmesan is a good addition to any tomato soup. That flavor just compliments the flavor of the tomatoes so well.
The creamy base is created with a basic roux and milk. You can use fat freee milk. Or for a richer creamier soup go for 2% milk or whole milk. Then some Parmesan cheese is in there for creaminess and flavor.
There are a few things added in this 20 minute creamy tomato soup for flavor also. There is some garlic, basil, and pesto in there. Or course there is some salt to enhance the flavor. Plus, there is some sugar. Sugar is always good to add to tomato recipe. It helps cut down on the acidity.
20 Minute Creamy Tomato Soup
Real Mom Kitchen
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped basil or 1 tsp dried
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp basil pesto
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- In a stock pot, melt butter. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and whisk to combine.
- Add in basil, sugar, salt and pesto. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add in milk and whisk until combined. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring often.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until combined.
Recipe is adapted from The Recipe Rebel.