My oldest son recently had lunch over at a friends house. They had huevos rancheros. It didn’t know that is what it was called but after asking him for details on how they made lunch, I deduced that what they had was just that.
He raved about how tasty it was and I proceeded to tell him that I have never made then for the family because no one likes their eggs sunny side up or over medium. He then told me, I need to make them sometime.
Well shortly after that, I had the idea to make waffled huevos racheros. Instead of making it with a corn tortilla, I opted for a cornbread waffle! It was a hit and my son loved it. we served our eggs over medium.
For the rest of my family who don’t care for their eggs over medium, I heated up a can of chili for them to place on top of their waffles. Everyone was happy!
- For the waffle:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup club soda
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- To top the waffles:
- 8–16 eggs, cooked over easy or over medium
- 1 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. then mix in the cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Then add the buttermilk, club soda,and oil. Whisk to blend. then mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture just until combined.
- Allow batter to rest for 2 minutes and preheat waffle iron. Spoon batter into waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Top each waffle with 1-2 over easy or over medium eggs along with salsa. Makes 8 waffles.