My oldest son recently had lunch over at a friends house. They had huevos rancheros. He didn’t know that is what it was called but after asking him for details on how they made lunch, I deduced that what they had was just that.
Now, he raved about how tasty it was and I proceeded to tell him that I have never made then for the family because no one likes their eggs sunny side up or even over medium. He then told me, I need to make them sometime.
Well shortly after that, I had the idea to make waffled huevos rancheros. Instead of making it with a corn tortilla, I opted for a homemade cornbread waffle! It was a hit and my son loved it. We served our eggs over medium. However, you can cook the eggs to your liking.
For the rest of my family who don’t care for their eggs over medium, I heated up a can of chili for them to place on top of their waffles. Everyone was happy!
- BAKING POWDER
- BAKING SODA
- SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- CLUB SODA
- CANOLA OIL
Waffled Huevos Rancheros
Real Mom Kitchen
For the waffle:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup club soda
- ⅓ cup canola oil
To top the waffles:
- 8-16 eggs cooked over easy or over medium
- 1 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. then mix in the cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Then add the buttermilk, club soda,and oil. Whisk to blend. then mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture just until combined.
- Allow batter to rest for 2 minutes and preheat waffle iron. Spoon batter into waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Top each waffle with 1-2 over easy or over medium eggs along with salsa. Makes 8 waffles.
Waffle recipe adapted from Plain Chicken.