Pizzelles are a classic Christmas cookie you can make flavored vanilla and chocolate. They are light, crisp, and slightly sweet Italian cookies. I remember our family receiving tins of these at Christmas when I was a little girl. However, in my neck of the woods now, I haven’t seen people making these cookies.
Once you place the batter in the pizzelle press, to cookies cook in less than 1 minute. This recipe also makes a good amount of cookies.
You can serve this just as is or once they have cooled you can dip half the cookie edge in melted chocolate. You can then take it a bit further and sprinkle the melted chocolate with various things like mini chocolate chips, crushed candy canes, chopped pistachios.
Another option is to drizzle chocolate aver the cookies. You can even mix rainbow sprinkles or mini chocolate chips into the batter. And don’t even get me started on what you can do with these babies if you roll them.
So you can go basic with this cookie or gourmet it up however you want to. These vanilla and chocolate pizzelles are a classic that should be used more.
- VANILLA EXTRACT
- BAKING POWDER
- KOSHER SALT
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE VERSION:
- COCOA POWDER
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- For the chocolate version:
- The only extra ingredient you need is 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat the pizzelle maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- In a large bowl, add sugar, melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt (plus cocoa powder if making the chocolate version).Beat together until everything is blended and smooth.
- Cook pizzelles according to the instructions for your pizzelle press. After you remove cookies from the press and cool them on a wire rack. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Runner.