These taco bites recipe I am sharing with you today is the most complicated appetizer of all the ones I plan to share. However, there are a few ways you can do them which can vary the time they take to make.
First, the easiest route for these would be to use Tostitos Scoops and use it as a dip. Or the next step up would be to just fill the Tostitos Scoops with the taco meat mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
The final and most time consuming option would be to cut out circles from flour tortillas. You can do them muffin cup sized for a generous serving or you can do them in mini muffin tins for small bites (this is what I did for the picture). The mini muffin version would take the most time.
If you have enough mini muffin trays, you can prepare these ahead of time. Then you have them already to go up to the baking point. Just place the taco bites in your fridge and bake them when you need them. My boys absolutely loved these and have asked to have them again before the New Year’s Eve.Print
- 8 burrito sized flour tortillas or 2 bags of Tostitos Scoops
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 4 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- optional additional toppings – sour cream, sliced olives, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro
- preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- If using tortillas, cut out tortillas into to circles.For the mini muffin version, cut them into 2 1/4 inch circles. For the muffin sized version, cut them into 3 1/4 inch circles.
- Place circles into the muffin tins. For the mini’s you should get around 72 and the muffin version will give you about 36. If using Tostitos, just place the scoops on a baking sheet.
- In a skillet, brown the beef until fully cooked and drain off any fat.
- Add the salsa, taco seasoning, and refried beans to the beef. Stir until well combined.
- Place about 1/8 cup on the meat mixture into the muffin sized bites or about 1 Tablespoon in the the mini muffin or Tostitos Scoops version. Top the taco bites with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with additional toppings if desired and serve. I topped them woth a little sour cream and chopped cilantro.
Recipe adapted from Dashing Dish.