Today’s Spiderweb Whoopie Pies recipe is a perfect way to end any Halloween celebration and to end this weeks posts. Chocolaty cookies filled with sweet and fluffy orange filling, finished off with a spooky icing spiderweb. I had to try these out after seeing them in a recent Redbook issue.
It all starts with a cake mix which is always a fabulous way to begin in my book. The filling is make with butter, cream cheese, and marshmallow fluff – a deadly but delicious triple combination. Not only is the filling orange in color, but it also has a light orange flavor thanks to a little orange extract. If you don’t have the orange extract, just use some vanilla extract in it’s place. Then you create a simple spider web with a powder sugar glaze. I also purchased spider rings to add to the whoopie pies. I just cut off the ring part and set them on top of the spiderweb whoopie pies.
- 1 box (18 1/4-ounce) chocolate fudge cake mix, with pudding in the mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 jar (7 1/2-ounce) Marshmallow Fluff
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- Orange gel food coloring (I used red and yellow)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk or water
- Prepare whoopie pies: Beat all ingredients in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed 3 minutes, or until batter is smooth. Let batter rest 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper. Drop level 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter into mounds on baking sheets, spacing them 3 inches apart (6 to 8 mounds per sheet; you will get 24 mounds).
- Bake each sheet 11 minutes, or until cakes are puffed and a pick inserted into centers comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Bake remaining cakes.
- Prepare filling: In a large mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add Marshmallow Fluff, cream cheese, and orange extract; continue mixing until blended. Tint filling a pale orange with food coloring.
- To assemble pies spread the flat side of 1 cake with 2 tablespoons of the filling; top with another cake, pressing down gently to distribute the filling evenly.
- To make Spiderweb Glaze, mix ingredients in a small bowl until thick and smooth. Transfer glaze to a small zip-top food-storage bag. Snip off a corner of bag and pipe a spiderweb design on top of each whoopie pie. Let glaze dry until hardened.