Do you have a case of the Mandays? I have teamed up with Manwich and other select food bloggers to help families nationwide spend more quality time together. Turn Mondays into Mandays through the “A Case of the Mandays” campaign with easy weeknight meals the whole family will love. I was asked to come up with a meal using Manwich and created these delicious Southwestern Gorditas. I was going for a sloppy joe with a taco twist.
These Gorditas were a big hit at my house. My whole family gobbled them up and even asked for more. It also was an easy dish for me to get on the table fast. It was a total win-win meal. It was a cinch for me to make and the whole family left the table with smiles on their faces and a full belly. I even was able to share this recipe on a local TV show. So not only do you have the recipe, but I have also included the video from the show for you all to watch. The video can be found right below the recipe.
These Gorditas are served in a pita bread. I picked up my pitas from Sam’s club by the bread, but if you can’t find them you can use this recipe for quick homemade flatbread. I also used some cotija (or queso fresco) cheese in these which can be found in the refrigerated Mexican section of the store , but you can always use regular cheddar cheese if that is what you have on hand.
Manwich is also providing a great giveaway to help on lucky ready with their “Manday” night meal with a”Manday Night Survival Kit”. The kit includes:
- 1 Calphalon skillet ($80 value!)
- 4 Manwich bibs (one for each member of the family)
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 mini canister of handwipes
- $50 grocery gift card
- Manwich product
A $140 value! Enter for a chance to win at the end of this post.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 c. diced onion
- 1 (16 oz) can Manwich Bold Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 c. frozen corn
- 6 pita/flat breads
- 1 1/2 c. shredded lettuce
- 1/2 c. crumbled cotija or queso fresco cheese
- chopped cilantro, optional
- 6 lime wedges, optional
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion until fully cooked and no longer pink. Drain off any grease.
- Add the Manwich, cumin, black beans, and frozen corn to the beef. Bring mixture to a simmer and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide meat mixture between pita/flatbread breads. Serve topped with shredded lettuce, and cotija cheese along with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice from the lime wedges.
Real Mom Kitchen original recipe.