Just a bit ago, I shared a recipe for crock pot mac and cheese. It was a big hit with the family. Then, I came across another recipe that used some different ingredients and decided to give it a try. This slow cooker macaroni and cheese version used sour cream and condensed cheddar cheese soup.
This version was good, but my family says they prefer the other version better. However, everyones tastes are different and I figure some of you just may love this one. I loved the look of this version. It looked like the prefect creaminess. It was just too cheesy in flavor for our tastes.
Next time I will give it a try again for my family but use a can of cream of mushroom soup in place of the cheese soup. I use cream of mushroom soup in my favorite baked macaroni and cheese. This would probably cut down on the cheesiness flavor for me. I do have one other slow cooker mac and cheese recipe if you want to check that out too. This one uses egg in the recipe.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni in a pot of boiling water for 6 minutes and drain. You undercook the macaroni slightly so it doesn’t get mushy after cooking in the crock pot.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add cheese and cheddar cheese soup. Stir until the cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Spray your slow cooker and add your cooked macaroni along with the cheese mixture, sour cream, salt, milk, dry mustard, and pepper. Stir until well combined and coated.
- Cook on low for 2-21/2 hours until hot, stirring occasionally. Serves 4.
Recipe adapted from Julie’s Eats and Treats.