This post may contain affiliate links.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Cans Get You Cooking through the Mom It Forward Blogger Network. All opinions are entirely my own. #sponsored #ad
It’s Thursday afternoon and all the kids are home from school. You then get that question that we all get, “Mom, what’s for dinner?”
You go to the fridge to see what you can put together that night only to find out that the items you bought at the first of the week are now gone or have spoiled. Before you reach for those take out menus from the drawer, you remember you have a solution for a wholesome, homemade meal right in your pantry – your Cantry!
Keeping a Cantry stocked
Keeping a Cantry stocked with canned beans, chicken, broth, and tomatoes can make it east to throw together a Cantry Thursday night meal and the recipe I have for you today can be one of those Cantry meals.
Canned items are great to keep on hand because the fresh fruits and vegetables are harvested at the peak of ripeness and canned within hours. This is one of the best ways to lock in nutrients and get food from its source to your family table year round.
Just like the home canning process that Grandma used, cans seal in foods’ natural goodness and nutrition so it’s there for you anytime. Did you know that studies show that people who frequently eat canned foods may have healthier diets than people who don’t? Canned produce is also on par nutritionally with fresh and frozen varieties, and in some cases even better! Your next nutritious meal is only a can away!
The slow cooker chili mac recipe I have for you today uses a good amount of canned items. This makes this dish so easy to put together in the morning in the slow cooker. Then it’s time to turn on the slow cooker and let it work it’s magic during the day with all of those wonderful ingredients. Just toss in the pasta a little before dinnertime. When the pasta is tender, stir in the cheese until melted and dinner is served!
This meal is hearty and filling! It’s perfect for this time of year and can be one of those go-to comfort meals that your family asks for.
For more about cooking with canned items, visit Cans Get You Cooking or their Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or YouTube page.
Slow Cooker Chili Mac
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of chicken broth
- 2 (16 oz) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cups dried macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, cook beef with the diced onion until beef is fully cooked. Drain off and excess grease. Add garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the beef mixture to a large slow cooker along with the broth, beans, tomatoes, green chilies, chili powder and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for up to 10 hours or high for 2 hours. Then add in the dried macaroni and cook on high for about 30 minutes until the pasta is tender. Stir in the cheese until melted and serve. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective.