These slow cooker chicken French dips are a fun change from the typical beef French dip sandwiches. I love to make French dips in the slow cooker. It always makes the meat nice and tender. The meat is never dry! It’s also great that the slow cooker basically does all of the work for you.
One thing that make this recipe so delicious is that you cook the onions until they start to caramelize. Then you add those onions to the slow cooker with the chicken, broth, garlic salt and pepper. Next, you whisk some flour with some Worcestershire sauce. It adds thickness to the au jus in addition to flavor.
Once the chicken is cooked and shredded, you place it on the rolls with some shredded mozzarella. Then, you cook the chicken French dips in the oven. It gets the cheesy all melty and the bread slightly crispy. It’s a great summer meal. Add your favorite chips with some fruit on the side and enjoy.
- CHICKEN BREAST
- OLIVE OIL
- CHICKEN BROTH
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- KOSHER SALT
- FRESHLY CRACKED PEPPER
- MOZZARELLA CHEESE
- DELI ROLLS
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4–5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- In a skillet, heat add olive oil and butter. Add thinly sliced onions, a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for about 12-15 minutes until the onions are soft and a little caramelized
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker, followed by the cooked onions, minced garlic, chicken broth, and kosher salt & black pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and Worcestershire sauce together. Whisk the mixture into the broth on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken, place onto a cutting board, and cut into pieces or lightly shred.
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees. On a sheet pan, lay the rolls open. Top each roll with about 4 ounces of chicken. two tbsp of mozzarella. Then close the rolls.
- Bake ar 415 degrees for about 6-10 minutes or until the bread is crispy and the cheese is nicely melted. Serve each with some au jus for dipping. Serves 6.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 hours 10 minutes
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from The Skinny Dish.