Today’s recipe makes it possible to make chicken enchiladas in a slow cooker. It is similar to recipes for skillet enchiladas that I have shared before. However, no need for cooked meat, the meat gets cooked in the slow cooker.
My family absolutely loved this and I really loved how simple it was to make. My family isn’t big on olives but I LOVE them. So I just used them as a topping instead. Finish it off with a dollop of sour cream and you are set.
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless raw chicken breasts (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 (28 oz) can red enchilada sauce (I used mild)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (3.8 oz) can sliced black olives, divided
- sour cream, optional
- In your slow cooker, place chicken on the bottom and cover with enchilada sauce. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Next, shred the chicken right in the slow cooker. Cut the tortillas in to 1 inch strips and mix in with the chicken along with 1 cup of cheese and half the olives.
- Spread mixture evenly in the slow cooker. Top with the remaining cheese followed by the remaining olives.
- Cover and cook on low for about 40 – 60 minutes longer. Serve and top each serving with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Serves 4-6.
Recipe adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker.