Here is my cheater version of sesame chicken. I use popcorn chicken from the frozen section of the store. This is to simplify thing.
I like to buy my popcorn chicken from Costco. However, any popcorn chicken works. The kind I get from Costco doesn’t have direction on the package for deep frying, but I like to do it that way anyway. The product is already fully cooked, so you’re basically heating it up. On the other hand, I have baked it to and that works just fine too.
The sauce for this is a recipe from Bobby at Blog Chef, my favorite site for oriental recipes. This is a quick and simple way to have sesame chicken at home. Just serve it over cooked rice and you are set.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs frozen popcorn chicken cooked
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
- salt to taste
- a sprinkle of ground black pepper optional
- diced green onion optional
- sesame seeds optional
- Deep fry or bake your popcorn chicken.
- In a wok or sauce pan, combine the remaining ingredients and warm over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring and simmer until sauce slightly thickens.
- In the wok or in a serving dish coat chicken with the sauce. Serve over cooked rice and garnish with diced green and sesame seeds.