Strawberries are in season right now. This is one of the best times of year to enjoy them. I love strawberry shortcake, but why not take it up a notch by making a shortcake that begins with a brownie! Oh these oatmeal brownie strawberry shortcakes are good, so good. Strawberry paired with chocolate is a great combination.
Now, you really could get by with just using one chocolate cookie per serving, especially if you want to reduce the calories. I did however make them with the 2 cookies per serving as the recipe stated and we were all stuffed. You have to use really whipping cream here. It’s the best!
I must also point out, that this brownie does have a extra ingredient to give it a healthier aspect. It has oatmeal! So feel good about eating these Oatmeal Brownie Strawberry Shortcakes! You are getting some whole grains in there too. By the way, the cookie part is also great by itself too!
- BETTY CROCKER FUDGE BROWNIE MIX
- ROLLED OATS
- WHIPPING CREAM
- SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS OR CHOCOLATE CHUNKS (I USE CHUNKS)
- POWDERED SUGAR
- FRESH STRAWBERRIES
Oatmeal Brownie Strawberry Shortcakes
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 18.3 oz Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 ¼ cups whipping cream divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks I use chunks
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 3 pints 6 cups fresh strawberries, diced and macerated in a little granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, combine the brownie mix, oats, 3/4 cup of cream and egg in large bowl and mix well. Mix in chocolate chips or chunks.
- Drop large tablespoonfuls of brownie mixture on to greased cookie sheets. Yields approximately 16 cookies.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cool completely.
- Whip the remaining 1 1/2 cups whipping cream and powdered sugar in medium bowl; beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- To make the shortcakes, place 1 brownie cookie on each individual dessert plate or shallow bowl. Top each with strawberries, whipped cream and another cookie. Top each stack with dollop of whipped cream and a little strawberries.
Recipe adapted from the fabulous Tidy Mom (muwah, love ya) who got it from Pillsbury.