Being that I love oatmeal as much as I do, when I saw that there was a way to make it without cooking it, I had to give it a try. Basically, you let the oats sit overnight in a mixture that includes milk and yogurt. This no cook berry oatmeal softens overnight while the oats absorb the moisture from the milk and yogurt.
I tried this recipe with regular old Yoplait vanilla yogurt and vanilla Greek yogurt and found it work best and tastes best with the Greek yogurt. I also used vanilla flavored yogurt because regular is just too tart for me. If you really like plain Greek yogurt by all means, go for it. The oats end up soft with still some chewiness to them. I do think I will try it again with quick oats just to try it for texture. Also you want to use frozen berries rather than fresh because as the fruit thaws you get those yummy berry juices added to the oatmeal.
This was yummy and would be a great alternative to hot oatmeal especially for summer. However, I must admit, I personally still prefer the hot cooked version.Print
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- fresh berries and honey for garnish, optional
- In a container with a lid, mix the oats, yogurt, juice and berries together. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve in the morning cold topped with a drizzle of honey for each serving and fresh berries, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from Busy Mom.