This layered chocolate dessert is a recipe I have been enjoying since I was a young girl. My mom would bring this often to family gatherings. I was always excited when I saw dessert was going to be this recipe.
Since having a family of my own, I passed on the tradition of this delicious dessert. Part of the reason my family loves this is because when I make a pie, they never eat that crust on the edge. This dessert is just like a layered pie, but it doesn’t have that edge crust. It’s not made in a pie pan. Instead it’s made in a 9 x 13 inch pan. The crust is only pressed into the bottom of the pan.
The other thing I love about this crust, is it gets pressed into the pan. There is no rolling out the crust. The crust is just made from butter and flour. You pulse it in a food processor and press it in the pan. Then you bake it for about 18 minutes. That’s the first layer.
The second layer is made with a combination of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and Cool Whip. The third layer is where the chocolate comes in. It made instant chocolate pudding mix and milk. The very last layer is the easiest. It’s just plain old Cool Whip by itself. Then you just have to give this layered chocolate dessert an hour in the fridge before you eat it.
Layered Chocolate Dessert
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 cup cold butter cubed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 8 oz carton Cool Whip, thawed, divided
- 3 cups milk
- 2 3.4 oz each pkgs instant chocolate pudding mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut butter into flour until crumbly. I just put it in my food processor and pulse it a few times. Then press the mixture into a 13×9-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Fold in 1 cup of Cool Whip and spread the mixture evenly over the cooled crust.
- In another bowl, beat milk and pudding mix together on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour over cream cheese layer and carefully spread out evenly.
- Top with dollops of the remaining Cool Whip and carefully spread out evenly. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Makes16 servings.