I know that Saturday’s post usually consist of my fab five, but this week I am doing something different. And it includes a recipe for Key Lime Pie Cake Bites. With publishing my book, I found out that my book was going to be coming out the same time as another author my publisher works with, Wendy Paul.
Now Wendy is a seasoned cookbook publisher. Her new cookbook, 101 Gourmet Cake Bites, is her third book. She also published 101 Gourmet Cupcakes in 10 Minutes and 101 Gourmet Cookies for Everyone. I used her cupcake base a while ago in my post for Gingerbread Cupcakes.
I follow Wendy’s blog and after finding out we each had cookbooks coming out at the same time, I sent her an email asking to chat and get some pointers from her. She was so sweet and willing to help me out. We also both got to go to a dinner this week to help promote our books. Wendy did the desserts for the dinner. She brought a variety of cupcakes and cake bites. I sampled some cake bites and they were divine, delicious, and moist. I tried both the red velvet and the mint brownie, loved them – especially the red velvet.
Now Wendy was nice enough to share her recipe for key lime pie cake bites. Don’t they look and sound fabulous! For those of you who follow me regularly, you know how much I enjoy citrus desserts, especially anything key lime! Also, I am lucky enough to give away a copy of Wendy’s new book – 101 Gourmet Cupcake Bites.
To enter the giveaway, leave a comment on this post telling me which cake bite you want to try the most – red velvet, mint brownie, or key lime pie. You have until Tuesday August 9 at 10 pm MST to enter.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ½ Tbsp grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup key lime juice
- ¾ cup half and half
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Lime Butter Cream Frosting (recipe below)
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp grated lime zest
- Mix together cake mix, 1/2 Tbsp lime zest, key lime juice, half and half and eggs.
- Batter will be thicker. Pour batter into a greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Crumble cake into small, even pieces, placing crumbs in a large bowl.
- With the back of a spoon, mix together cake crumbles with the frosting, sweetened condensed milk, and 2 Tbsp lime zest until a thick “dough” consistency forms, making it easy to shape into a cake bite.
- Shape cake bites, evenly sized and cool for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator, or 20 minutes in the freezer. Dip into white melting chocolate. Top with crushed graham crackers.
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3–4 tbsp. milk or cream
- 2 tsp lime extract or lime juice
- 2 Tbsp lime zest
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds. Stop the mixer before adding the sugar or you will have a large mess to clean up.
- Add the sugar, 3 tablespoons milk (cream) and lime extract or juice and lime zest. Beat frosting starting on slow increasing your speed until frosting is nice and creamy. Add up to 1 or more tablespoons of milk (cream) if frosting to too thick.