I absolutely LOVE kettle corn. I love to get it where ever I can, the fair, a sporting event, a festival. However, that is really the only places you can get it. I have tried those microwave version and the just aren’t the same. When I saw there was a way to make it at home, I was dying to give it a try.
This recipe is simple and quick, but since it involves hot oil, I don’t recommend the kids do this one with out adult supervision/assistance. They can help with getting the ingredients, but an adult should do the cooking part.
This kettle corn is just what I expect a kettle corn to taste like. It would be best if you could make it with mushroom kernel popcorn, but I just had the usual stuff from the grocery store and it was still good.
- 1/3 cup corn oil (I used canola)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- Salt to taste (I prefer using sea salt)
- Over a medium-high, heat the corn oil in the bottom of a heavy 3-quart saucepan (It needs to be one with a lid cuz you’ll need the lid later). Place in 2 or 3 popcorn kernels into the pan. When the kernels pop you know the oil is hot enough.
- Add the sugar and then the remaining popcorn and give it a quick stir. We are talking a quick stir. You don’t want exploding popcorn and hot oil. You just want to stir it to even distribute the sugar so it won’t burn. Cover with a the lid.
- Shake the pan over the heat while the popcorn pops. Shake it, then set it on the heat for a few seconds and shake it again. you want to oil to stay hot but not have the sugar burn. Pretty soon the popcorn will begin popping. Continue the whole shaking/placing back on the heat until the popping stops. When the popping stops, remove the pan from the heat.
- Immediately pour the hot popcorn onto a cookie sheet. Use a spoon to get anything out that remains in the pan. .The popcorn will be hot and sticky so be very careful not to burn yourself. The popcorn should be lightly coated with a light caramel color. Salt the kettle corn to taste and serve. I like to eat it warm.
Adapted from the Hillbilly Housewife.