These Johnny’s Garlic Seasoning Breadsticks ae made from an amazing seasoning mix I buy from Sam’s Club. First, I’m pretty sure that Johnny’s Garlic Spread and Seasoning mix can be purchased at other places. However, if you can’t get you hands on it, I have a at home copy cat version you can make yourself.
The mix itself includes Kosher salt, garlic powder, oregano, basil, marjoram, parsley all along with Parmesan cheese. As a resulgt, it is full of flavor. You can use it on breadsticks, garlic bread or to make dip or dressing.
Also, this breadstick dough is more on the pizza dough side. It is soft but has a nice little chew to it. Subsequently, it’s an awesome side for any soup or salad. For example, it’s especially wonderful with the Italian Tortellini Soup from yesterday.
- 1 1/2 cup warm (105–115 degrees) water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 to 4 1/2 cups flour
- butter, melted
- Johnny’s Garlic Bread Seasoning (purchase or homemade with the recipe below)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine water, sugar, and yeast. Allow to sit for 10 minutes until yeast is bubbly.
- Add salt and 1 1/2 cups of flour; mix well with the dough hook. Gradually add more of the remaining flour until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger.
- Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove from bowl and place on a surface sprayed with cooking spray. Roll into a 9 x 13 inch rectangle and cut into 12 strips using a pizza cutter.
- Roll out each piece of dough into a about 18″ long rope. Drape the middle of each rope over your forefinger and twist the two pieces of dough together. Place each on the lined baking sheet. Space them out evenly.
- Cover pan and allow to rise for for 30 minutes.
- When 15 minutes of rise time remain, preheat oven to 425. When finished rising, bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush breadsticks with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic bread seasoning. Makes 12 breadsticks.
- 1/2 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp marjoram
- 2 tsp parsley
In a bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together. Len place in an air tight container and store in the refrigerator.
- For Garlic Bread – mix 3 Tbsp of mix with 1 cup softened butter. Spread over bread and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. For softer bread wrap in foil before baking.
- For Dressing – mix 2 tsp of mix with 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- For Dip -mix 2 tsp of mix with 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1/4 tsp salt.
This mix is also great to use on vegetables, chicken, pasta, spaghetti, and pizza.
Recipes adapted from Our Best Bites.