While growing up, my mom had a delicious rice meatball recipe (AKA porcupine meatballs) she would make. Then I make it for all of my kids while they were growing up. It’s a family favorite and in my cookbook. I was thrilled when I found a recipe for Instant Pot Porcupine meatballs that looked very similar to my mother’s recipe.
Some people call them porcupine meatballs because rice is actually mix into the meatballs. Then once they are cook, thee meatballs look all spiky and pokey from the rice, just like a porcupine. This version in the Instant Pot also includes a few more ingredients than my mom’s and I think I may love them even more!
You make my mom’s meatballs is using ground beef, onion, rice, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. This one the meatball is comprised of ground beef, dried minced onion, egg, rice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, heavy cream, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
The sauce in mom’s meatballs you make from tomato soup and water.
The version for the sauce for this recipe you make using tomato soup, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and red wine vinegar. The sauce in this one is so flavorful.
Now with mom’s version, you brown the meatballs. Then you place them in a baking dish with the sauce and cook for 1 1/2 hours. These meatballs do not require browning. You just place the meatballs in the Instant Pot and cover them with thee sauce. Then they cook on high pressure for 25 minutes with a natural pressure release for 15 minutes. So this is quite a bit faster to make. My husband, daughter, and I loved them!
There is enough sauce that you can serve these over rice. I actually served them with potatoes on the side. It’s a recipe I will also share this week. FYI, this recipe is only 10 points on my WW Personal Points!
- GROUND BEEF
- DRIED MINCED ONION
- LONG GRAIN RICE
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- GARLIC POWDER
- SALT & PEPPER
- HEAVY CREAM
- ITALIAN SEASONED BREAD CRUMBS
- CONDENSED TOMATO SOUP
- BEEF BROTH
- BROWN SUGAR
- RED WINE VINEGAR
Click here to get your WW Personal Points for this recipe.
For The Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2–3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoned bread crumbs
For The Sauce
- 1 (10.5 oz) can condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients. Use your hands to mix together well mixed. I cover my hands with gloves before mixing.
- Using your hands, roll the meat mixture into roughly 12-14 small meatballs. I use a cookie scoop to portion the meat and then roll in my hands still covered with the gloves. Place the meatballs onto a plate and set aside.
- When the sauce is at a simmer, give it a final stir and turn it off sauté mode. Add the meatballs to the sauce in the pot. Put the lid on the instant pot and make sure the vent is in the sealed position. Press the manual/pressure cook button and set to cook for 25 minutes. When it’s done cooking, allow a natural pressure release for 15 minutes. Now turn the vent valve to open and release any remaining steam. Serves 4.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes plus time to come to pressure
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from 4 Son’s R Us.